View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #1298
numazu
Australia
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

I used to have my doubts about Shorinji Kempo too. I went from Karate to Shorinji and felt as though many people in the class just wouldnt really have what it takes in a situation (not that is the main reason for taking on a martial art - many of them did it for pure enjoyment - very nice bunch of people) so I was picking holes through it and becoming negative, "this doesn't work...that's not practical..." Then I met the teacher and he had a real presence. You could feel it in a block or a grab. He had something there that would very easily take care of me thank you very much. Then I realized alot of it has nothing to do with "style" at all. It comes down to that certain aura or power about a person. It's that something that only develop over time and experience.
I do feel the MMA guys have a point when they say after a couple of years they can take the average karate or Aikido guy out. They probably could but then their skills level off while Aikido and the like are just starting to take off. Aikido takes years of hard work - thats the only downer but in the end it is in your favor. I guess only a person with a bit of maturity can appreciate that. A lot if younger people just dont thave the patience to understand it.
One other thing too, I have never met a person I really disliked in an Aikido dojo. The style attracts gentle people who are looking for an alternative way to protect themselves than being a bute.
The world needs Aikido to keep the balance. Never feel as though you have to defend aikido. It's the other person who has to find the gentle side of themselves first.
p.s. luckily I didnt give up on that class. We used to practice Ukemi on hard wood floors. One day while riding a bike down a hill a car pulled out and I went straight over the handle bars. My body didnt have time to think and I automatically did this perfect Ukemi roll down hill on concrete and didnt hurt a thing!!! - dont ask me to do it again but it's funny how one little part of an art can be all you need - the defining point at a defining moment.