View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Jim Sorrentino
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Seminar in Virginia

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your sober, thoughtful reply.
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I was talking with Howard the other day about that very topic; DR, Koryu and the internet.
Do you mean Howard Popkin? If so, what's the difference (in intent, not content) between Howard Popkin's well-received introductory seminars on Daito Ryu Roppokai (which he has taught at various aikido dojo), and what Roy Goldberg does?
Another topic of discussion was with a head of a dojo...[snip] I remember one Japanese Shihan telling me...[snip] ...but over the years I've met several real koryu teachers who are Menkyo Kaiden and happen to be American teachers.
It wouldn't be a post from Dan Harden if there were no references to personal conversations between Dan and various senior budo figures who must not be named. I used to believe that argument from authority was the weakest form of argument, but I was wrong; argument from anonymous authority is weaker.
I choose to be a straight arrow and treat people with respect.
Is that what you were doing in your post above? If so, you need more practice.
Personally, while I have some extremely cutting and revealing things that can be said about teachers, arts and such. I keep my mouth shut, and preserve a measure of restraint and dignity.
Yet you seem to offer insult, hyperbole, and innuendo. Respect, restraint and dignity? Not so much! And revelations about various teachers and arts? None.
Sorry to change the subject,
Should we also add "insincerity"?

Getting back on topic, there are still spaces available for the upcoming seminar. Please see for more information.

See you on the mat!