View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #1278
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Giancarlo DiPierro wrote: View Post
The problem with saying that all of Ueshiba's students got a full enough transmission is that they all look very different.
I didn't say all his students have enough transmission; whatever the standards. I don't think different equates to inadequate transmission, for one thing, but I also have to wonder how it is you think Aikido looks so different. I've experienced a little bit of Tomiki Ryu, but enough to see how it's like the heavily Tohei influenced dojo I primarily attend (when i get the time). Externally they look very different, but internally they feel extremely similar. I'm no expert, but that's how it seems to me.

Quote:
In fact, I think that none of them would agree with you that they all got a full transmission
I should hope not...particularly when earlier I said I don't think that's likely possible.

Quote:
Most of them say that they couldn't even understand what he was talking about most of the time themselves,
Well he spoke in terms of mystical language, but when you were thrown you felt it. Perhaps even most of what he was able to do was lost, ok, but something useful was transmitted. To me it's as simple as that. And if that is indeed the case then all the better for the cross-exchange of information we're blessed with in the information age.

Gambarimashyo!