View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #210
Dewey
United_States
Re: Very Disturbing news about Clint George

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Ahem.

FWIW -- I disagree with Amdur's suggestion above that Ueshiba was "not a moral man" in the Western sense or otherwise. It is dangerous to do armchair psychology (even for someone like Amdur who does it for a living) and judge a Japanese, morally, by their set of associations. Most classical Japanese tragedies turn on the web of conflicting giri and ninjo. Unlike we fractious and disputatious Westerners, personal associations during O Sensei's life were not so freely chosen -- or disposed of -- regardless of the present views among the new generation.

As to Chris's related point, it is at odds with some fairly notable statements made by O Sensei in his own words. As with here (at 1:27) [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTlW...eature=related ] speaking explicitly of Aikido being a "path to self-perfection for all human beings."

Or here (beginning at 4:35) [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTlW...eature=related ] where he speaks of assimilating himself to the "one Creator" -- praying and "for the sake of harmony," "saluting all of creation and the divine spirits," and hoping "to live a good life as a man and a Japanese" and to "pray for the peace of the world."

Anybody who chooses to can quibble with the translations of his spoken words, but as far as I am aware they are authoritative. And this is highly consistent with the more extensive and elaborated discussion he has on these points in the Takemusu Aiki lectures.
I can agree with the majority of your argument, Mr. Mead. Ueshiba was a product of his time & culture and it would be intellectually dishonest to hold him "accountable" to our contemporary Western culture's standards, particularly those who wish to cast him as the proto-hippie. However, if we look at his associations throughout his lifetime, he'd squarely fall on the right side of the isle even by today's standards...both politically & socially. He was certainly heavily involved in what was the Japanese rough equivalent of the John Birch Society.

Methinks the real issue is those that subscribe to the hagiographical depiction of O'Sensei as popularized by the likes of John Stevens.

Back on topic pertinent to this thread: I think O'Sensei would let his senior students (i.e. lieutenants) deal with the issue.