View Single Post
Old 05-13-2002, 11:18 PM   #44
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Interestingly, this never happened while I was in Japan, but does here all the time - must be a cultural thing.
P.S. Hi Peter!
Hah! The truth now Sam - you were kept far far away from the real beginners. (Sam vs. total Japanese beginner).
Quote:
Originally posted by Jessica
It seems to me everyone should remain at the beginner level to maintain an open mind and humility.
Beginner/Advanced is a relative term and forgive me but we train to improve our skills not remain at beginers level. Shoshin is a learning state which allows us to reach more advanced levels. The idea is to keep an open and expansive mind. I can see how people wrapped up in their ego and lacking humility can have difficulty maintaining Shoshi but I don't see a direct connection.

For definitions sake a beginner is anyone with significantly less expereience than you and yes they can be both maddening and enlightening to work with. Striking a good training balance is far easier in dojos that have been established and don't have a high turn-over rate. That's probably why it was less of a problem for Sam when he visited us (so you coming back soon).

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido