View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Buck
United_States
Re: What is "combat"?

Most people know assault and battery is against the law. Most people don't do it. Instead we fight with words. The Aikidoka who was killed didn't expect to be hit, because he was being attacked with words. He let his guard down. What killed him wasn't the hit but the impact to the hard ground from being hit. Was he in a combat situation, by having some one argue with him over a parking spot? I am not sure what level of intensity the arguing was at. The other guy may have normally argued over the spot in a common manner that many of us experience in our daily lives. A situation that rarely results in violence. How hostile was the other guy, was he giving any indication he was going to strike? Tough situation to call when you don't have all the facts.

Say your in crowed line and bump in the person behind you accidentally as a result of the crowd. The person you bumped into then stabs you in the back,or less violently punches you with your back turned. Did you know you’re in a combat situation? I don't think the Aikidoka did either. Hind sight is 20/20, as they say. It is really difficult to know what people will do.

We are not super people with super sensory perception telling us we are in a combat situation. We are people. Because we are people the key then is the universal self-defense rule of being aware at all times. Even if you do you are still susceptible. To be attacked in public only requires the attacker to have that right split second to attack.

Really what I am saying is, I am cutting the unfortunate Aikidoka some slack. He was human, and it was unfortunate he died over a paking spot. Honestly, it is a sad commentary on our civilization. I don't think even if he was MMA trained for example it would have made any difference sadly. I think the only difference might have been in his personality and background, and not what art he practiced.

Just my old hayp'ny worth.

What is combat I think is a good question.

Last edited by Buck : 04-13-2008 at 10:51 PM.