View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #272
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Knife Randori Videos

Quote:
Joseph Arriola Wrote...This is a point of contention. What some people view as "extreme finesse under extreme duress" may not be viewed as extreme finesse by people like me.
Understood and I agree

Quote:
Early in my training, I thought I was among the "best of the best". Later, I realized I had simply scratched the surface. I am now 52 years old and I am still honing my skills. Everyday, I seek to see something that makes me better, physically, intellectually and spiritually.

Fortunately, I had teachers who in their 50's 60's and 70's could still take out the "physically robust twenty-somethings". These are men (and women) who I continue to follow in concept.
Me too... As Suzuki Roshi who once wrote a book on the subject titled in part "Beginners Mind"

Quote:
Just because a SEAL, Green Beret, Marine Recon etc has been trained and given a "name" after a "one years" worth of training does not automatically make him a master. Just because someone has received a certificate or even a PH'd does not make that person automatically the leading expert. It takes a lifetime to hone the skill I am talking about.
I did not mean to suggest that someone who has graduated from one of those programs automatically becomes a Master. What I meant was that in order to graduate a man has to continually demonstrate the ability to perform any task under extreme physical and emotional duress. I define duress in this case as it was tasked to me. "To complete the mission/task at hand in the presence of extreme physical danger." This kind of training by the way is only the beginning. All graduates of these courses must continually demonstrate thier ability to operate under extreme duress or they are kicked out of thier respective units. I graduated from RIP( now called ROP or the Ranger Orientation Program) with 25 others. Three years later there were only two of us left with the rest getting injured or kicked out of our unit for failure to maintain the Ranger Standard. I suspect it is the same with any Special Operations Unit and may even be "harsher" since we are at War. Failure to perform is simply not tolorated.

Quote:
As to your second question, I don't mean to be vague or to give you a "moral to the story" tale. However, extreme duress comes in many shapes and forms. You lose a job, you go through a divorce, your child dies, you cheat on your wife...you kill a man and his family by firing him.
I agree in part. I am going through a sudden divorce and watching my mom slowly die from terminal cancer. However these two situations are not causing me to experiance "fight or flight" syndrome and perhaps that is due to my previous training and demonstrated ability (as we say) to drive on to the Ranger Objective. Who knows.

Quote:
An ordinary life alone is enough for us to learn the lessons of duress. However, to answer your question specifically, "you must get cut and you must get stabbed" to really learn the knife.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
That has been my experiance as well though perhaps not anywhere to the degree you have experianced and taught it. In the context of this discussion I am just trying to exemplify "Beginners Mind" and learn from you a little bit about your training methods and the reasons behind them.

Respectfully,

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 04-10-2008 at 06:23 PM.