View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Making sense of aikido lineage/associations

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
In the case of Tamura Shihan, however, this would not matter, since Tamura Sensei is one of the very few shihans attached to the Hombu who can award Hombu dan ranks anywhere.

You would need to contact the Hombu directly (Mr M Tani, aikikai.or.jp). I see that your association has not received Hombu Recognition, but I do not know why. Mr Varszegi once came to an IAF Congress seeking membership. We would not give it to him because his organization did not have Hombu Recognition. Tamura Sensei was at the Congress and might well have discussed the matter with the Hombu. However, Recognition has still not been given. Other organizations have come to us with the same purpose and the answer has always been the same.

However, if you intend to return to the USA and continue your training in an organization like the USAF, then your dan lineage will become very important.
Amazing and very insightful indeed.

So if I understand you correctly, Tamura Sensei is connected to Hombu and can give ranks virtually anywhere.
However any ranks received by him in the organization here in Hungary are not recognized by Hombu?

I suppose I was under the impression that if there was a ranking connecting official to the Hombu that it automatically created recognition...I suppose its two different things and just a matter of this organization obtaining recognition.

Again, I truly am not aware of the ins/outs of the politics of Aikido here in Hungary - Im happy I can learn Aikido despite that Im learning in a language I dont really understand. - Hungarian and Japanese...

However I will try to look into this further and take your advise in contacting Hombu to try to get clarification on this matter. It would be nice to know...especially after all of the time and effort that goes into learning. (i.e., my sensei just received his 1st dan...after 10+ years I believe it took him, and he is truly good.)

Peace

dAlen