View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: I am the universe

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Newberg, D'Aquili (2000). "The Neuropsychology of religious and spiritual experience." Journal of Consciousness Studies 7(11-12): 251-266.
Newberg, D'Aquili (2001). Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science and the Biology of Belief. New York, Balentine Books.

These studies documented increased neural activity in the prefrontal cortex and decreased activity in the posterior superior parietal lobe. which governs the identity or distinction between self and non-self.
Quote:
mystical experience is biologically, observably, and scientifically ‘real' rather than ‘wishful thinking' .. [we] saw evidence of a neurological process that has evolved to allow humans to transcend material existence and acknowledge and connect with a deeper, more spiritual part of ourselves perceived of as an absolute, universal reality that connects us to all others (Newberg 2001)
The expansion of sense of self involves mirror neurons, which are, in my estimation, what we are primarily using in the experience of musubi. That lies on a spectrum of experience between simple hand-grabbing, seamless flowing within an attack, one-touch throws, no-touch throws, and somewhere at the end of that (non-linear) progression, the proverbial golden light and identifying with the universe.

As a purely martial matter, highly efficient mirror neurons processing an attack without mediating ego input makes the survival value and hence the evolutionary basis of this observed faculty fairly robust, in my opinion.

"True Budo is love."

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.