View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #20
"Encouraged"
IP Hash: b836ccc6
Anonymous User
Re: When your family resents Aikido

Quote:
Al Gutierrez wrote: View Post
YOUR family is far more important than your dojo family! You still have to lead by example. Your own chores and activities at home, whether cooking, cleaning, decorating, gardening, or whatever are all opportunities to practice aikido! Who would've thought that sweeping, dusting, laundry, ironing, rearranging furniture, tending to the kids, and the like could become joyful activities for practicing aikido? You can integrate whole-body movement from your center with everything you do, you can smile at every challenging chore & situation, drop your center, breath deeply and infuse your approach with a creative positive spirit. You can learn to do things more efficiently, more elegantly, and you can find ways to express your loving care, awareness & attention (zanshin) around the house, and often do much more, with less. You will find that you can actually train at home, and that you will probably learn more (internally) than your dojo mates will at class anyway. Aikido as Ueshiba envisioned it is not about "techniques" as much as it is a "WAY". The way that you make it your own and internalize the lessons learned on the mat, is by integrating the principles into your daily life.

These ideas are not so much my own, but were impressed upon me by one of my instructors.

A.G.
Al,
Thanks so much for the reminder. I need to read it over a few more times and let it sink in.
I do need to put my family first, I have been so intent on "becoming myself" that I may have forgotten what is really important.
"but I really really really want to practice!!!!"

"receive and harmonize " LOL