View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 08:22 AM   #15
akiy

Re: Whistling sword

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Baker
Funny thing about a whistling sword, it isn't the only stick like weapon that can whistle.
It's easy to get a stick to whistle; I daresay that a six year old could probably do so without much thought nor experience. But, of course, getting a "weapno" to whistle doesn't necessarily mean you're using it correctly. Just because you can make a bokken whistle doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to make an iaito/shinken whistle.

In using an iaito or a shinken with or without a hi (which some people call a "blood" groove although many also say it's merely there to make the blade lighter), you start ingraining how to properly use the hasuji (blade angle) in your cuts. I've been witness to many, many aikido people (highly ranked up to 7th dan) who, although they had good "aiki-ken" skills, were unable to properly cut through a single tameshigiri mat. Therefore, just trying to develop speed in one's weapon doesn't necessarily mean you're developing any kind of applicable swordwork skills. Better to start out slowly and relaxedly and build up speed through experience and training, not through just trying to make your sword whistle. (Brian, care to comment on this point?)

On the subject of using a bokuto as a weapon, please realize that the bokuto is a very fine weapon in and of itself. I hear many "shady" people in Asia use it far more often during fights and such and is considered to be capable of extreme damage.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!