View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Arrow Re: Not Magic, Science

When results of an experiment are published, other scientists can duplicate that experiment to verify the results of the original investigation. This method of verification is what I was referring to when I wrote, "Nobody trusts science, especially scientists." The fact that scientists can verify each other's work precludes trust. Science is not built on trust but on objective verification.

Drugs, surgical procedures, medical therapies and computers connected to the internet are by-products of scientific inquiry. This technology is not science itself. Pure science concerns itself with investigation, not its product line.

Poorly defined words, mysticism and emotional thoughts that are called arguments are common in aikido forums and dojos. This approach has been tried before and failed.

From Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Quote:
Sagan wrote:
They did not advocate the free confrontation of conflicting points of view. Instead, like all orthodox religions, they practiced a rigidity that prevented them from correcting their errors.
Cicero wrote:
In discussion it is not so much weight of authority as force of argument that should be demanded. Indeed, the authority of those who profess to teach is often a positive hindrance to those who desire to learn; they cease to employ their own judgment, and take what they perceive to be the verdict of their chosen master as settling the question. In fact I am not disposed to approve the practice traditionally ascribed to the Pythagoreans, who, when questioned as to the grounds of any assertion that they advanced in debate, are said to have been accustomed to reply "The Master said so," "the Master" being Pythagoras. So potent was an opinion already decided, making authority prevail unsupported by reason.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You