View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Exclamation Very Disturbing news about Clint George

I've been waiting for this story to hit the forums for about a week now but haven't seen anything. I hesitate to even bring it up, but I've been critical in the past of people in the Aikido community seemingly sweeping serious problems under the rug. I suppose if I'm going to hold myself to that standard, this is something I have to do.

You can read the article here.

I don't know Clint very well, but I've had a number of very good conversations with him over the years and while I don't know if he would have remembered me by name, I will always remember him. He was a wealth of knowledge about Aikido, and was one of the few Westerners to spend a long period of time studying in Shingu with Hikitsuchi Sensei.

For those of you who didn't skip ahead and read the article, it may be confusing that I'm speaking in the past tense. The article is not an obituary, but it is likely the end of his influence in the Aikido world.

This is very sad and very disappointing. My heart goes out to him, his family, the victim and also all of his students who must be going through hell right now. I hope that there are leaders in his dojo's community that can rise to the occasion and lead them forward to heal and move on.

Clint was one of the few mainstream Aikido teachers who I made an effort to go see at seminars and talk to individually. He really was a wealth of very special knowledge. I was very happy that he had become such a regular influence at my former Aikido dojo.

I've already had a number of very good (online and face to face) conversations with folks about this, but thought it needed to be out in the general community knowledge.

If you hadn't heard, I'm sorry to be the bearer of such terrible news, but like I said, I try to hold myself to my own standards.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog