View Single Post
Old 05-06-2002, 11:58 AM   #4
Doug Pichen
Dojo: Tohkon Judo Academy
Tongue

Knowing where one's flaws are within a move is crucial in correcting them. The idea is to improve upon your weaknesses while in the dojo. I have been doing Daito Ryu Aikibudo Jujutsu for about 10 years, and there are a lot of times when I think I have the move 100% down. Of course my Sensei never fails to prove me wrong.

Sometimes after we have done the move the same way for 2 or 3 years. (When the movement has sunk in to the level of habit.) Our Sensei will simply change the dynamics of how we move. When he does this you basically get to learn the same move all over again, and re-examine your flaws.

There are some moves that will be natural to you, and others that you will have to work at a lot. Our Sensei has told us that we need to do our own Aikido, and not copy him. In other words learn all the moves he shows you, but master the ones that you are most comfortable with. Not that I can't, but I am 6'8" and doing shihonage on someone 5'4" isn't exactly my first choice. You have 7 months under your belt it takes time. Know your limitations.