View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #43
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: why focus on internal power

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote:
The internal power that is discussed in threads about the things Mike, Rob et al.discuss, is a tangible, physical-mechanical process that one trains within one's body. It's "simply" a physical tool that makes the body structurally more stable and able to receive and re-transmit energy from an attacker if one so chooses.
Cady,

I don't know your martial arts background so I won't make any assumptions regarding your familiarity with Aikido training methods and goals. I was taught that Aikido training develops the whole person; the integrated mind/body person. Our training from day one incorporated both waza and Ki development on equal footing, a practice that we continue today.

In Aikido mind(spirit) and body are non-differentiable. Mind and body distinction is learned at an early age and via Aikido training we discover how to reintegrate mind and body. From an Aikido perspective to state that internal power is "simply a physical tool that makes the body structurally more stable and able to receive and re-transmit energy from an attacker if one so chooses" is only partially correct. Development of internal power via Aikido training must by definition strengthen both mind and body since they are two sides of the same coin.

Mike, Rob et al may use training methods and metaphors that differ from those used in, say, Ki Society or other styles of Aikido that emphasize Ki development, but the power being spoken of is the same.

Just for the record, don't confuse training to engender peace in one's own life with the Christian tenet of turn the other cheek. The two are not necessarily synonymous.

Ron