View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #78
clwk
United_States
Re: Workshop with Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
We did not do much in the way of joint locks, but we did work on nikkyo a little. Mike reinforced to me that it does not work without positional dominance, moving or pain. He could ground out the technique and bounce me back. I could do the same, that is ground out the technique, although I could not bounce it back. Regardless, you were not going to get Nikkyo.
Kevin, I wasn't there so take this for what it's worth.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Just to clarify a little, I was only using a limited approach to nikkyo as one of the examples to teach people to bring jin/kokyu-power where they wanted, at will.
I think Mike is being polite (and therefore oblique) here, but it's worth belaboring the point. If you just learned how to 'stop' the technique using the ground, Mike (or someone else skilled) would still be able to slap that puppy on you if he actually wanted to. I mention this as something possibly worth considering as you wander in a new direction.

What do you have to do to make locks work as controls when someone can 'block' them? Someone good enough (I experienced this definitively with Chen Xiao Wang) can block that too, but I think there's more to it than just 'step 1'. Don't take that as a criticism, just a suggestion that you may not have exhausted the mine of joint locks just yet. Keep digging, there's more in there.

-ck