View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #76
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Workshop with Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Another thought. I am not sure what anyone's impression is concerning "controlling center" is after this weekend. My impression is that while apart of the aiki thing, that it is incomplete when discussing aiki. There is much more to this than simply accessing uke's center and controlling it.

I think I would also put that into the category of "good jiujitsu" or "a part of aiki", but not aiki in and of itself.
Well said. I don't think you can distill 'aiki' down to any one thing. It manifests when numerous things all come together.

Also to be clear, I'm not saying "aikido good, jujutsu bad." I think that jujutsu is the foundation for (at least the external side) of aiki, and that without a solid foundation in good old fashioned jujutsu, one's aiki will always be lacking. When we get new folks, particularly those with Aikido backgrounds, we start them with Judo (and now the Aunkai basics too). If you look at how Daito Ryu intellectualizes their curriculum, they have three overlapping types of waza: jujutsu, aikijujutsu and aiki no jutsu (at least that's how I've seen it explained from several sources). I really appreciate that distinction, even though they still make it clear that even the jujutsu portion can be done "with aiki". Sorry, kinda wandering this morning...

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog