View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #60
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Workshop with Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

Rob,

Yes I am excited actually more about my BJJ/grappling than I am concerning my aikido practice. My BJJ partners, as you know, tend to put alot more committed feedback, pressure, and the grounding feedback is more solid and moves around from point to point in your body.

I don't know if I will make any gains in my ability to transmit/project the way Mike was showing me anytime soon, but I am certainly trying, and even this morining working my open guard and butterfly it seemed as if uke was a little lighter/lifting if I focused on some of the things/feelings that Mike presented. It is hard to tell.

One of the challenges I had in talking with MIke was trying to really grasp conceptually/cognitively in terms of my current reference/perception system. I kept finding myself asking Mike "In grappling I do this...is it the same concept?" Or in Yoga terms, they talk about "This"?

Mike would demonstrate the difference or explain the concept again, and show me the difference.

It was sort of like trying to describe an Elephant to a man that has not concept of an elephant.

So, the only thing I know to do is to do what he said do. Keep getting with guys in the area that are doing it, and then get back with Mike to see if I can see that Elephant a little more clearer in a few months!