View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #54
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Workshop with Mike Sigman on Ki in Aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
The whole point of these discussions is that Aikido as an art has largely lost the exercises which develop the kind of internal power the Founder and many of the old time deshi had. Putting the discussions here lets the Aikido folks who want to know a place to share the ideas and those who don't want to know can be happy talking the art in other ways. It just leaves people less upset this way.
Hi George:

Well, I came into Aikido looking for how to do these specific things, many years ago. If there had been a ready access to them, I would not have left and of course people in Aikido would not now also be looking outside for a source of this type of information. Q.E.D.

I feel like I tried to cover too much information at the workshop, but on the other hand, I think the "big picture" was better served by covering a number of the facets in such a way to give a flavor of how things hang together as a whole.

As Kevin L. pointed out, these are mainly training exercises. The points about Uke's importance in helping Nage learn, at first, are critical (IMO), as several people have already noted. As the skills increase, of course Nage will begin (over time... not immediately) to be more fluent with the skills and will be able to utilize them as the core of techniques, rather than just as training devices. And of course, ultimately, the blend of mind-directed Ki skills should become automatic, so that ki-no-musubi manifests itself in response to any attack.

But anyway... I'm hoping the workshop kicked a few people into focusing their gaze and practice on developing those skills. I think that going back and reading much of the writings of Aikido now will turn on a few lights and help increase the appreciation of the depth of O-Sensei's art.

Best.

Mike Sigman