View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #21
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
But small throwing requires a drop in height of some kind and from some part of the body.
I agree, but specifically what parts of the body?
I'd say using the pelvis/hip girdle is only part of the equation.

Quote:
And if you get into a wide stance, you cannot minimize/reduce the stance smoothly.
Do you mind clarifying what you mean by this?

Quote:
I suspect that there is a "real world reason" (among others) to be learned when asking why "old man" style has stances where the feet are almost next to each other. Old martial arts teachers had to figure out how to throw and strike without athletic stances, using one leg to support the other without becoming double weighted and losing momentum.
I think there's a difference between using "athletic" stances, and doing lower/wider stances for training purposes (aka, lower basin training, which you'll find in most non-southern CMA)

Also, could you define what you mean by "double weighted".
So many people have their own definitions, (even among the chinese cma community) I just would like to understand your position better.

Quote:
Oh well such a digression. Key lesson, don't let your injuries go untreated. They come back and haunt you when you get older.
I'll definitely take that to heart

On a different note, have you ever taken a look at statues like this, or similar? I'd love to know what your take on them would be (about their body, make, characteristics, anything that's jumped out at you about them etc)
http://www.koumatsuba.zansu.com/kongourikishi_as2.JPG
http://www.sendai-biyori.com/news/im...0722083747.jpg

I realize it seems like an unrelated tangent, but I'd appreciate it if you humor me