View Single Post
Old 05-01-2002, 05:48 AM   #34
guest1234
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
Well, you know Guys, we Mediterranean people tend to add a little spice to our words sometimes you would however be surprised how often such things did happen.

I agree with both of you, Peter and Erik. I would like just to give some other example of situations where Uke could be hurt by Sensei.

I have occasionally seen some Yudansha challenge their Sensei when they are called to demonstrate a technique: They might resist the technique, be uncooperative, or respond in a non conventional way. In such cases, I have seen the Sensei rightfully put some extra pressure on a Nikkyo, or throw a little harder than usual, in a kind of punishment, or reward, for the challenge. But things can go wrong, and a little extra pressure can be enough to brake a wrist or a forearm.

I believe it is the Yudansha duty to keep their Sensei's technique sharp and effective, despite the promise of a painful but instructive outcome.

Cheers,
Edward
Again, Edward, uke in these cases got hurt because of their bad ukemi---resisting past the point of stupidity, not moving or tapping when a joint was locked, etc--- I doubt the senseis were smiling because they were benevolently thinking 'oh, what a fine young man this is' but because they were wondering why he was such an fool, and how he could 'raise' one like that.

When i read people's posts who think broken bones, torn or strained/sprained tendons/ligaments are signs of progress and honor, required for honest and true practice, I wonder a) what their sensei is like as a man and a father and b) what the individual is like as a man and a father. Serious injuries (ie, sprains/torn things/breaks) should be looked at as unfortunate and RARE occurances as they are results of mistakes. If they occur, one or both partners DID SOMETHING WRONG. If one of them did it wrong on purpose, it is abuse. Now, if instead, you are calling serious injuries (which is what we are talking about) bruises, then you did not understand what we were refering to.

In the AF, we train very hard. We train very seriously. I'd be amused to see you walk into any fighter squadron bar in the afternoon and call them weak. But in that training, we work with a set of rules which recognises at the end of the fight, both pilots and planes come home. We have ROE to ensure that, and we follow the ROE or face serious consequences. Occasionally a plane or pilot is lost in training. But it is VERY RARE, it is a BIG MISTAKE, it is MOURNED beyond words, and it is published worldwide so no one else repeats that same stupid mistake. I look at Aikido practice that does not seriously injure anyone in the same light.