View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #96
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Is Aikido effective for police?

Not a police officer, but a career infantry officer in the army.

I personally had no issue with David's post looking at it again. The bell curve applies throughout all of society. you have a low side, a high mid point, and a another low side. On either end you have one, people that need to reconsider why they chose this profession. They endanger themselves, there fellow soldiers, and those they are suppose to protect.

On the high end, you have the best of the best. Those are the soldiers that have accepted what they do as a way of life, and strive to be the best they can be at whatever they do, and seek to capture a well rounded career that prepares them to do their ultimate jobs.

I the middle, you have the majority. They will take some iniative. Usually enough to get the job done. You have to hold them accountable, and stay on top of them. Not bad guys, but certainly not the guys you want to put on your "A" team.

You have to train to the mid point, unfortunately because that is where 80% of your troops lay and you have to do that.

However, I don't understand why someone would choose this profession and NOT do the basic things to a high degree of excellence?

certainly I am not at my best on a daily basis, but I try when I can!

However, I am also not "up" in a combat unit either. Or a cop on the street. If I where back there, and when I was there....I focused all my attention on doing whatever I could to be the best that I could! It was hard for me to understand those that did not!

I am with David...either you bring your "A" game, or don't bother coming. I tried to instill this in my unit when I was a combat leader, and it was my responsibility.

If I was a choosing a surgeon, I want to get the best (I can afford).

If I am facing the death penality I want the best lawyer. I expect him to be effective at his job.

Some jobs we may not care so much as long as the job is done satisfactory.

However, when your life is on the line. I am sorry, there is no room to accept mediocrity.

That is great if you choose to work on a Chevy in your spare time. I too used to love cars and spent much time doing that. Musashi also talks about balance being important. It is key to have that as well...you can't be "Major Payne". It is not healthy.

I don't think David was passing judgement on anyone...simply making a statement about excellence, and the unaccepatbility of mediocrity in professions where you are responsible for people's lives.

Anyway, enough about that!