View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002, 01:07 PM   #6
Doug Mathieu
Dojo: Aikido Bozankan
teaching little kids

Hi

We have a kids class at our Dojo where I help our Sensei with them.

Until joining our current Dojo I only had experience with my own kids, 2 girls who would have been around 6 years old when they 1st did anything.

Our Dojo starts with kids at least 6 years old. If Sensei feels a younger child can apply themselves he may allow them in at a younger age.

My Sensei is terrific with the kids. He has a rountine where a 1 hour class operates with warm up (lots of running) drills, technique and games.

Usually techniques take only 15 minutes. However the drills and games work in lots of ukemi, shikko and other Aikido movement, body principles, etc.

For example one of the kids favorites is shikko dodge ball. 2 teams face each other and the players have to stay on their knees and only use shikko or ukemi to avoid the thrown ball.

Our sensei also does a good job of working in morals such as senior students help juniors, uniforms must be clean, no negative comments are allowed about other students, blending and not confronting aggression.

I personally feel its very rewarding to see the kids become more confident, move better and show some of the ideals told them such as taking care of a struggling student instead of putting them down.