View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #43
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Is Aikido effective for police?

C,

Yes, that's my experience too - too overwhelming for the average officer/person (i.e. the knife throwing, etc.).

My answer is the same: move first, draw on the move, keep moving, shoot at the largest cross section till the target ceases your reason for shooting him/her, perform a combat reload, regain any environmental awareness you may have lost from the battle, find your breath/center yourself, radio in your situation as is called for.

To answer your other questions, at further distances, we move early, because of the throwing knife, and/or any possible gunshots. We are going to be tracked if the attacker is coming in to striking/cutting range, but we want to move first in case we are dealing with ranged projectiles (e.g. moving targets are harder to hit) - with us assuming we will not know what all the attack entails. Moreover, if they attacker has no ranged projectiles and has tracked us as they approach, we just cut the different angle on the move (which is actually easier than cutting an angle from the standstill (think boxing).

When we use these principles from the interview stance, sure, we are cutting angles from a more stationary position, which in turns allows for less tracking from the attacker. Still the principle is the same: DO NOT DRAW FIRST. MOVE FIRST. Then one is able to pull out his/her weapons, take the shotS if necessary, and not be so open to out-of-the-holster-retention problems.

that's what i'm thinking, :-)
d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.