View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002, 04:52 AM   #7
guest1234
Re: ukemi does not always save you

Quote:
Originally posted by justinm
My long term injuries are a result of my partner doing something that I could not avoid. My elbows are permanently painful. Both elbow problems were caused by my partner's lack of sensitivity when I was pinned, causing overextension of the elbow joint.
<snip>

Other than not training, I can't see how I will stop this happening other than never train with someone I don't know very very well.
I would say these were avoidable, but it is hard to say without knowing if you have a deformity of the elbows (we have a couple of folks in my dojo whose elbows since birth have less than full extension) or a sadist in your dojo. If you know your elbows won't extend without injury, or are loose, or already injured...tell your partner before training, and mark your gi (I like red tape) and tap early. One can always tap if all else fails, but a serious effort should be made to verbally and visually warn a partner. Also, while this does not apply to you, as you had already submitted to your partner (in the pin already), I get annoyed by those who do tell their partners to go easy on them to to an injury or infirmity, and then RESIST the technique (often seen in one particular person in my dojo). This is rude and stupid, no gentle way to say that. Most important in the pin, TAP. TAP EARLY. TAP. Sometimes people wait too long in the pin to tap. There is a short time between slack taken out of a joint and pain. Use it. Pain is bad, enjoy the stretch but tap as soon as it hurts, and this often means getting ready to tap as soon as he starts to pin.

If this particular partner (or partners) does this on purpose (ie, you warned them, marked your gi, did not overly resist technique/weren't heavy footed, took appropiate ukemi and tapped as you felt the stretch, not until the pain was unbearable, and he continued the pin after you tapped), then he should be reported to your sensei. There should be no room on the mat for sadistic partners who purposely injure; and those who are injuring through inept performace need special attention from the sensei, it is his responsibilty for basic safety in the dojo.