Thread: Do You Block?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #35
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Do You Block?

I'm going to connect Chris's and kevin's last posts - if you all don't mind...

I like the direction that Chris demonstrated in his video. Additionally, I agree with his points on grounding. Still, I'm not sure Kevin's point is being addressed yet.

For example, in the video (Chris'), while one is looking to tactically engage a boxing-style punch with various kokyu-nage (etc.), the applied technique is not necessarily being applied against a boxing strategy. The technique is still being employed against an Aikido strategy. That is to say, while the video demonstrates many fine points relative to Aikido, entering in, and to the inside, of a boxer that has just thrown a hook (or an uppercut, etc.) is really going to expose you to the flurry of strikes and angles that make up a boxing combination.

Kokyo nage is probably something one may want to try from the inner-inside when you are facing a single committed strike, but it is probably not something high on the scale of tactical advantages when you are facing a boxing combination. I think that is what Kevin is trying to draw out of the video he posted - i.e. what in Aikido has one capable of dealing with such a strategy. At least, for me, this is how I understood him when he wrote: "He does not over commit, he does not give them back center. He did not commit to one attack. He could have finished them offf with more, like kicks and such if he had wanted to" - since it is quite common in Aikido to only deal with single overly committed strikes where uke has given away his center for notions of increasing damage/penetration, etc.

If we connect this to the thread topic, and what all has already been said against blocking - where grounding (etc.) is relative - I would say that we are again looking at a question that springs no so much from Aikido as it does from the way Aikido is generally taught today. In particular, I would say that the Aikido tactic best utilized against such combinations and/or a strategy is movement (assuming everything else is present concerning a centered heart/mind). This is not to say that grounding is still not relative, as grounding is imperative in quick, decisive, and purposeful movement, but the kind of movement necessary for dealing with such an onslaught as seen in Kevin's posted video is going to be different enough that a person that can ground and move in Ikkyo will not inevitably be able to deal with the flurry that's-a-coming.

I don't think this contradicts anything Chris has said, but i did think it was necessary to say something about what exactly is the "hard" part in what is seen in Chris' posted video: It's the rush, speed, and multiple angles (each one working to zero in on target); it's the accuracy, the overwhelming number of attacks, the relentless pace; it's the vulnerability of the head as a target and it's significance to generating a counter, a defense, and/or an offense. Etc. For me, it makes sense that Bruce Lee greatly admired the boxer's hands, and why the boxer's hands are so spreading from art to art - especially those that are working in the more live training environments.

For what it's worth, I think I posted an article here that is sort of on this topic - I think. It should be under the Grindstone articles if it is here - it has videos too.

d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.