View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
MaylandL
At the bus stop...

G'day all

I've been a serious student of aikido for the past 14 years and before that, 5 years jujitsu and a couple of years wing chun kung fu.

So I'm heading to the bus stop to catch a bus to the car park and a teenage girl of about 14 jumps out in front of me and shouts..."ARRRRGGGGGH!" She's probably no more than a couple of inches from me and pretty well right in my face.

After an initial wtf and without thinking my right hand snakes out and clips her at the edge of the mouth. My left hand was holding on to my backpack. Smack and grab muggings have happened to other people in the past. Luckily, I was able to take most of the power out of the strike when I realised what as going on. Just a childish prank...no real threat there.

I feel a little guilty about hitting a defenceless girl...defenceless in the sense that she had no idea about receiving or having the conditioning to take a hit. At the same, I am glad that the "instinct" training that my sensei has been giving us ever since I started aikido worked. Feeling good about this and hitting the girl is making me feel a little guilty though.

She looked shocked and surprisd and said "you hit me..." and her friend was equally surprised..."you shouldnt hit girls". My reply was "she shouldn't have jumped out at me"

At the end of the day, I'm glad no one was really hurt.

Train hard everyone...you never know when you might need it

Mayland