View Single Post
Old 04-27-2002, 10:48 AM   #21
jimvance
Dojo: Jiyushinkan
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
(hmm, would it be sutemi waza and sutemi ukemi? ). In the first, nage allows uke's attack to throw him and out of how he falls regains his balance while causing uke to lose his.
sutemi waza and sute ukemi. Only one "mi" per person, if you please.

I have seen a guy in Aikikai style randori use tomoe nage over and over because he was "stuck" and could not think of anything else to do. (I guess he was lucky the uke were nice to him and let him stand up each time.) Maybe he just watched one too many episodes of Star Trek. He didn't attack with the "double axe handle" at all, so I think he was just stuck.

I don't think tori (nage) ever regains his balance in a classical sutemi waza. Regaining balance while causing uke to lose theirs would probably be considered "kaeshi waza", but I don't think you can really learn how to do that without the PRINCIPLE of sutemi. And the principle of sutemi is learned by ukemi. I thought that sutemi waza were throws that took advantage of tori's (who becomes uke) openings while uke (who becomes tori) was already ballistic. They were the some of the first kaeshi waza.

In other words, emphasis on sutemi as principle leads to a kind of hierarchy of ability:

1. Ukemi (Protecting the body while receiving force)
2. Sutemi waza (Receiving force while taking control of the initiative)
3. Kaeshi waza (Taking the initiative from someone who has it without receiving force)

This is not a linear hierarchy; don't know all the details, just the basic theory. And I am not its author, just one of its advocates.

Jim Vance