View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #122
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Steven Seagal and Aikido, your thoughts

Quote:
James Sherlock wrote: View Post
In my opinion, Hollywood can make an egomaniac out of anybody. It seems Segal had issues with his ego his entire life.

That being said, he did run a dojo for years in Japan and he was a great athlete.

He also appears though to be an aikibully and that's ultimately what turned me off to him and why I wouldn't want him as a sensei.

He has made a fortune making the art of peace look uberviolent all in the name of making a buck.

I'm not sure what I would do in the same situation but I would be in a lot of conflict philosophically.

It seems to me the man is very much out of balance, has no respect for women, and enjoys hurting others while his need to shine is gratified.

This is not aikido from what I understand, it's something else completely. The physical moves might be aikido-ish ( maybe more like a combination of the harder styles or a hybrid of aikibudo.

I believe it's not a good idea to train with a sensei that has too many character flaws. By sandan I would hope that a person would have worked those problems out.
One would think that with a name like "Sherlock" one would base his statements on what he knows to be the truth rather than regurgitating nonsense he read in some Follywood magazine. You speak as if you know the man. From what you have posted here, percentages are high that you do not know him, or even know anyone that knows him at any great depth. Spouting opinions being easy, I'll spout one here - It is never a good idea to comment in such a manner, in a public forum, while attaching your name for all, including your Sensei to see.. I do not know who your Sensei is, but had you had the chance to study with Seagal Sensei even just a little I can confidently say that you would have grown exponentially from the process. It is quite obvious that up until now you most certainly have not trained with Seagal Sensei, Matsuoka Sensei or any of the senior students from the old Los Angeles Tenshin Dojo

Your post speaks of conflict, character flaws and balance. It does so as if you believe that your Sensei has mastered these things. I can assure you that he is as human and as flawed as the rest of us. You speak of Aiki as if you have some deep understanding of this matter. Then you already know that there is no conflict where there is Aiki. Creating conflict with posts such as yours in this thread would an extreme lack of Aiki. As a beginner perhaps it would be prudent to worry more about your personal openings than those of someone about as far removed from your daily life as one could possibly be.

I let most of these internet condemnations of Seagal Sensei go without feeling any need to clue in the clueless. However, you are a beginner so you do not know any better. Your profile indicates that you train in Manhattan, so you are so very close. It is the holidays, after all and I am feeling overly generous. I will contact you privately later on this week so that whenever you feel like stopping by my dojo we can talk all about Aiki, conflict, balance or whatever else might come to mind. While you may not have an opportunity to answer any questions you might have by training with Seagal Sensei directly, I will try my best to relieve you of whatever negativity you might have with regards to one of my teachers so that you can get back to the task at hand, that being focusing on seeking O-Sensei's Aikido. I am not interested in starting any sort of flame war here on Aikiweb or anywhere else for that matter. If you have anything you would like to say about my post and are not interested in taking me up on my invitation, please write me privately if you feel so inclined.

Peace to all throughout the holidays and beyond.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.