View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #130
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Love to hear your oppinions on this video.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I went myself to your site to check out your videos... I think you are being too generous in discussing commonalities with differences here or there - important, major, or not - when it comes to what we each are doing. I would say we are not doing the same thing at all. We may use the same words to describe what we do, but that's about it. I, of course, have no problem with you saying what you do is the same thing that I say I do, but we do not do the same art form. I wouldn't expect a banker or a ship builder to jump in here and understand what I'm training in or for or by any more than I would a TKD player, than I would an Olympic Boxer, than I would you. We just are doing something too different, and the sameness of our nomenclature only makes that contrast more unbridgeable than anything else. Other readers of this thread can look at the two types of training and decide for themselves on whether we are looking at unsurmountable differences or not (i.e. contexts that will never be shared - making reasonable discussion very unlikely). For me, in my opinion, our discussions should probably be about things other than technical/training matters - which still leaves plenty to discuss, especially since I do enjoy your posts.

I'm not sure, but I imagine our differences in arts also allows you to pass over (what I consider to be a contradiction) the pairing of "for me" statements with "let me speak on the behalf of your students" (my paraphrasing), while mixing it all with a denial of "Super Aikidoka" persona, while mine (i.e. my art) does not.

For me, for my Aikido, when a person starts commenting on the welfare of folks they know nothing about, have nothing in common with, bother not to discover more, and/or don't know any real details that are related to them, etc., one is adopting a kind of "I don't need to know" attitude, one that suggests, "I know nonetheless," one that rests itself in a unfounded self-righteousness - which I, humorously call, "Super Aikidoka." For you, I understand, it's not that way. Good. For me, for my art, it's all related - hence my comments, and why they might seem strange to you and your art.

Apologies for dragging you into this.
d

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.