View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #79
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Re: Love to hear your oppinions on this video.

Quote:
Jason Jordan wrote: View Post
We strive to train with real effectiveness..."Not falling just to fall, or to make others look good." We also incorporate combination strikes to learn how to identify intention versus feignts.

I also go over to the BJJ guys and we train together.
As well as the Karate guys.
It's interesting that you mention BJJ, because BJJ was really my "wake up call" as far as aikido training goes. I'm not sure if your experience differed, but for me, it seemed abundantly clear that aikido techniques were just from Mars in that context. The ruleset was basically anything goes, except for striking. However, aikido techniques seemed entirely out of place, whereas each day learning BJJ techniques made me better at empty-hand grappling. I might as well have been doing kendo or naginata-jutsu, for all the advantage it gave me. At most, I would suggest that aikido could be a useful supplement for someone with a judo background. (Unfortunately, judo itself prohibits wristlocks in shiai. But, under something like sambo rules, it might work.)

Aikido just doesn't seem to have anything to do with empty-hand grappling. But you don't have to take my word for it: do you ever see BJJ or MMA people using aikido? No. If it worked for empty-hand grappling/striking, they almost certainly would. Jason DeLucia has worked very hard at making it work, and his praise is confined to, "It teaches some interesting principles." or "I once used something like a sankyo to peel off a choke." The exception that proves the rule.

What I like about Chris' idea is that it fits for both technical and historical reasons. Committed wrist grabs? Check. Reluctance to use wrestling-style clinches? Check. "Short-term" kneeling/pinning techniques that focus on the arm rather than the body? Check. As for historical: if you imagine two people fighting for their lives on the ground, the winner is likely going to be whoever grabs a rock and bashes the other. At which point, the fight becomes about controlling the arm that's holding the rock.

I've only briefly tried something like Chris' type of randori out myself, but it immediately made more sense. I found myself doing aikido techniques without thinking: it was just the most natural thing to do. Granted, this is somewhat anecdotal, because I was working with people who were 1) aikidoka, so arguably conditioned to take ukemi 2) somewhat smaller than me.

I wish I could post some videos of my own, but unfortunately, it's too cold to practice outside, and my friends and I are still seeking out mat space. As soon as I can, I will try to contribute.

As for Chris' videos, I think I actually prefer this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlGST3nR8WY

That, to me, seems like a reasonable idea for aikido randori. If you're looking for a moment of technique/aiki, I might somewhat randomly recommend the part starting around :20.

Last edited by Paul Sanderson-Cimino : 12-16-2007 at 01:25 PM.