Thread: Pinned?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #23
ScottyC
Quote:
Originally posted by Kat.C
We did this pin again at the end of class last night and I was working with a guy much larger than me, I had alot of difficulty taking him down. To keep him pinned I had to lean right over him and put all my weight that I could into it. I did not have enough reach to keep my back straight like most of the others, if I had kept the correct posture I would have been unable to hold him down. Am I missing something?
Probably yes and no. (Could that answer get any more nebulous? )

One the one hand, yes, you're probably missing something. Fortunately, there is a remedy for that: Keep Training!

Without actually seeing the positions, I won't venture to give specific advice, however I'll bet that there are some things you could do to improve the situation.

On the other hand, not every technique will always work for every combination of tori and uke. Some techniques/pins/whatever may be inappropriate choices, given the relative size, strength, speed, dexterity, ability, etc between them.

Not a very helpful reply, huh?

Next time you do this in class, ask a senior to look at what you're doing, and ask for advice. If possible, find a senior who's nearly your same size...

Scott

Scott Crawford