View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Esaemann
Irimi/too slow problem

We were working on Shomen Uchi Irimi Nage this morning. When I stepped in deep and blocked I found (especially on one side, less so on the other), uke was able to turn into me and I lost Irimi since uke was now facing me.

Sensei had told me to step in deeper and showed that my hips had to be turned more toward uke before he turns toward me. That way when he turns, he walks right into the technique. I was bringing ukes head to my shoulder (except when he was already facing me when I missed it), so that wasn't the problem. On the initial step in, I face the opposite direction of uke, then turn my hips so I'm perpendicular to uke.

I'm slower than average; at 6'1" and 210 lbs probably is the main problem. Does anybody who isn't very fast have some pointers as to what they do if its a problem?

I hesitate to bring this up, but ... Segal Sensei doesn't seem to have to move much or fast during his techinques. Yeah, in the movies, since I haven't had the pleasure to train with him. Also, it looks like uke is moving much faster than O'Sensei during his techniques in videos I've seen. Now I'm sure O'Sensei's technique is just at high enough level that speed isn't important (I read a column about this months ago) -- I think I just answered my own question, but I don't know that Segal's would be beyond physical technique.