View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #255
SmilingNage
United_States
Re: Resisting Aikido Shihan

251 Posts and what have we learned?
GDP:
1. No longer has a Dojo or students
2. Is a "teacher" that teaches by personal "skill" and not by rank. Actually doesnt have any rank or any confirmed rank in any Aikido Organizations or Iaito Styles.
3. Endorses resistance training in Aikido practice.

And it took 251 posts in this thread, a couple of other threads to figure this out.

In all, a lot of discussion some friendly some not so. I think we can all agree if you invite someone to grab hard/firm then you are inviting uke to try and stop you. How you judge this type of training is up to you. At least prepare yourself for a contest and don't get bent out of shape when you are resisted. When in fact it is you that set the table for this fight.

If you get stopped by Uke because you invited this type of attack or training, then the blame is with you. Resisting during a cooperative training period equates to behaving like a tool. Any knuckle head can throw a wrench in the works during practice when practicing the same throw, lock or whatever, over and over.

One last thing stopping a Sensei isnt exactly an accomplishment or wearing a badge. Once I stopped my teacher because I was, and still kind of am, a big heavy lug. I "stopped" him because his knee gave out while using me for Koshi Nage, sending us both to the floor. Luckily I was able to roll out and not land on him. So my claim to Aikido fame would be that I stopped my 6th Dan ranked Sensei by squashing him with my weight????????? Hardly the moniker I want, Bill the Sensei Squasher. Now I will be faced with endless challengers pitting their knee's might against my enhanced "center".

What is funny is how GDP spouts what an accomplishment to have stopped Saotome sensei. When in fact he did eventually throw you. You may have prevented him the first few tries but he did get you in the end. Thats like saying yeah I threw 2 pitches past Barry Bonds for strikes. Nice job but the 3 rd pitch was for a home run. Now claiming Saotome Sensei, or any other Shihan for that matter, could never throw you and proving that beyond a doubt would be something worth mentioning in certain circles.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.