View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #84
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Re: *Tentative* dates for Akuzawa (Aunkai) in Seattle, WA 11/3-11/4

I had a great time last weekend at the seminar and it was a pleasure putting the names to all the faces.

For me, it was interesting and educational to play with the various drills on a much wider variety of body types and sizes than I typically get to do. I also found it interesting to see how people were doing who had visited Ark in the past or had been doing drills from Rob's seminar back in Feburary.

One thing which was mentioned in the seminar, that I think is worth repeating is the use of the back. Akuzawa mentioned that most people are familiar with using the front of the body, but not so familiar with how to move various loads onto the back. Josh and I briefly experimented with this to replicate one of the demonstrations (and I was able to move the load a tiny bit, though I was in a position and loaded in such a way I am not normally familiar with), and it will be something I will be playing around with in the future to figure out how to do properly in addition to more regular training.

Akuzawa clearly and effectively demonstrated the difference between regular strength and internal movement, through both demonstration, hands on experience, and most importantly how to properly preform the various body training exercises. I also liked that the material was presented in such a way to make it clear that the same principles were applied for both grappling and striking.

I'm sure the Northern California seminar will be very educational as well.