Thread: Bokken symmetry
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #16
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Bokken symmetry

Another quick thought since I'm on-line replying to e-mails...

Most don't realize this but properly mounted swords are not totally symmetric.

For instance, tsuka on well done koshirae are usually a lot more complex than what you see on modern reproductions and even on most iaito. A proper tsuka will have a high quality piece of samekawa lined up such that the Oyatsubu ("emporer" nodes or the larger central nodes) end up on the omote of the tsuka one or two diamond openings down from the kashira. A quality shitaji for the tsuka will have a small "ramp" built to push those nodes up oh-so-slightly and a recess after it for the tie-off "presentation" knot to be done in the ito. Properly done this creates a very nice "palm" swell for the left hand near the kashira and is a sign of a very well done tsuka. I've yet to see a production sword with that level of attention to detail, but on good mounts you see it all the time.

Another thing to look at is kurikata placement on the saya. I've never seen one done backwards. No, I take that back, I saw a photo of one a guy did who decided to start making saya but who knew nothing about Japanese swords. Anyway, the kurikata goes on the side that will allow the sword to be worn edge up thrust through the obi on the left side (which means you're drawing with your right hand). The kurikata "pokes out" enough to prevent the saya from sliding down and out of the belt. If you were to wear your sword on the right you'd either have to deal with a large protruding object digging into your hip bone and the very real posibility of it sliding out of your belt *or* have a saya made with the kurikata on the opposite side.

I suppose someone could have a special saya made with the part on the other side. But I've never seen one.

Just fwiw.