View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
A Reed
United Kingdom
Re: Resistance training overview: the four basic levels

Thanks Aran

If resistance=local muscle then I would agree with you about it being against the idea of using ki. But I was trying to point out that in my limited experience I think it is possible for someone skilled enough with ki to stop a technique completely using only those internal skills and not local muscle.

What they are doing physically might appear to an onlooker no different to physical resistance that a complete beginner could offer. Even a tori who has not had much exposure to being stopped with ki might confuse this for local muscle resistance. But a tori who knows the feel of the difference between local resistance and being stopped with ki may be able to use the situation to improve their own internal skills.

In that case it could be argued that the uke is practicing using their ki and giving the tori the opportunity to feel and work out how they are being stopped. The tori is being given the opportunity to work out how to use their ki in order to continue with the technique. So what can appear as 'resistance' is actually a useful learning experience, unlike being stopped with local muscle when you are just trying to get started!!

But this depends on both people knowing that this is what is being practiced and on uke using the appropriate amount of ki for the toris level (i.e not too much otherwise it just becomes an ego thing in the same way as too much local muscle resistance).

In that way once both tori and uke are far enough advanced in ki skills maybe type 4A resistance would be very useful at training ki?
To someone with a high enough skilled level perhaps even type 4C would be a useful experience to just experiment with what can be done?

Hope that makes sense.

Regards

Andrew