Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Aran Bright
Dojo: Griffith Aikido Yuishinkai
Australia
Re: Resistance training overview: the four basic levels

Quote:
Andrew Reed wrote: View Post
Hi Giancarlo

Could there also be 3 extra categories (say A, B and C) which could classify what type of power is being used to bring about the ‘resistance'. For example:

Type A -- Relaxed internal power (jin/kokyu/ki or whatever you want to call it).

Type B -- A mixture of internal power and isolated muscle tension.

Type C - Only isolated muscle tension.

For example it could then be said that type 1C resistance (combining your scale with this scale) would mean that a small amount of physical tension is used to provide a connection. It would be Just enough to connect but not enough to disrupt.

Or type 4A would be actively trying to disrupt and counter your partner using internal skills while 4C would be actively trying to disrupt with muscle.

I'm not sure if all the combinations would work but would this help to clarify things in some situations?

Regards

Andrew
Good question Andrew,

I would mostly agree with the above outline for resistance training, as long as it is understood from the outset what is going on. Perhaps some of the reasons that people get upset is that they are expecting a certain level of co-operation and get something else.

I for one know that when I am at a seminar I am often trying to get my head around new stuff and would want level 2 resistance, certainly not active resistance. Demonstrations would be similar.

One of the other factors that should be considered too is that resistance is really against the idea of using ki, when developing ki you can only offer token resistance as anything more will be using strength and counter productive.

Just a few thoughts.

http://brisbaneaikido.com

Brisbane Aikido Republic
Brisbane
Australia