View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #20
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: VOE: Active Resistance

After having written a response in the "Teaching Context" thread, I thought about what I had written and realized that part of what I had written should be over here, especially after reading Rupert's posting. He brought up a very good point on which I would like to expand.

The point was that the grabbing attacks and various strikes are Aikido techniques, however, they are often not taught in a way that the students can do them correctly nor effectively. As such, the type of resistance given in a Morote Tori, for instance, is not done correctly for Morote Tori. Or, the type of resistance given in a Katate Tori attack being countered is not a correct or effective form of resistance. Likewise, the Shomen Uchi attack is done in an ineffective manner or is done in a way that leaves too many opening for a fast counter-strike.

Why such a condition exists seems IN PART to be due to some instructors getting stuck at a level of progression in which a training technique has become institutionalized. Yes, it is useful for teaching Awase and other principles to have the attacker use a slow raising of the arm to simulate Shomen Uchi or for Uke to grab Morote Tori from the front rather than the 90 degree and behind position or for Uke to always grab for Ushiro techniques by attacking from the front or for Uke to always attack Shomen Uchi from (depending on which school you are from) either Ai Hanmi or Gyaku Hanmi. However, if you get stuck doing all practice that training exercise way, you will have a difficult time to understand the application of those principles. To learn to be effective and do things correctly in the application of Aikido principles, at some time, you have to practice a little more realistically. The attacks have to become a little more realistic and some oomph has to be added to the attacks.

To practice against all training form of attacks is like practicing Kaeshi Waza only against techniques where Uke intentionally creates an opening for Nage rather than Nage creating an opening through the manipulation of slack.

I am not advocating that all attacks should be done realistically either. That would not result in efficient or effective training since it would most likely result in "fighting" and there would be little practice of principle understanding and application. Even in those forms of learning which focus on sparring, like Kendo, we use singular form-based attacks to first learn how to do certain techniques under a controlled situation. Then the instructor increases the difficulty by increasing the correctness of the attack, followed by counters to the counter until a true unscripted sparring level is reached.

So, an example of the progression for Morote Tori is:
1. attack with both hands simultaneously and lightly and slowly on the forearms without moving to 90 degree position;
2. increase grip strength and speed;
3. attack with a push-pull pressure of the hands on the forearm with a slow slip of the top hand up to the elbow to lock the arm;
4. make a dynamic attack moving to 90 degree position to complete attack (Kime);
4. increase grip strength and speed of locking the elbow;
5. attack with a fast grasp iterative push-pull grasp into Morote Tori with locking of elbow and moving to 90 degree position;
6. place enough force on elbow to drive Uke face to the ground and move quickly enough to keep Uke from pulling away from the Morote Tori (sparring level).

Rock

Last edited by Rocky Izumi : 10-29-2007 at 12:41 PM.