View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 AM   #24
G DiPierro
United_States
Re: Organizations- How important are they to you?

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
In fact, the AMA does *not* have a monopoly on the qualifications/licensing of physicians in the U.S. That was decided by the U.S. District Court Judge Susan Getzendanner, who stated that a the AMA had engaged in a "lengthy, systematic, successful and unlawful boycott" designed to reliminate the profession of chiropractic as a competitor in the U.S. health care system.
I never said anything about "the qualifications [or] licensing of physicians." I said that the AMA has a monopoly on "the qualification process for doctors of allopathic medicine in the US." Since you are a DC, I'm surprised that you are not aware of the distinction between medical alternatives, including chiropractic, and allopathic medicine. No court has ever challenged the AMA's monopoly on the licensing of persons allowed to prescribe legend drugs and I doubt that one will any time soon. Why? Because the AMA's standards are fair and objective. If you want access to those substances as a way to treat your patients, you do what they say, and nobody has any serious problem with that.

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
Of course, the AMA failed, because people have demanded an alternative to one-pill-fits-all medicine, and chiropractic physicians such as myself are working overtime to meet the demand.

In the same way, aikido has developed many branches, because it serves many needs.
Your implication that allopathic medicine and chiropractic are like different forms of aikido makes little sense. While alternative therapies have their place, they are not based on objective, scientific proof. Because there is no proven alternative for conventional medicine in any kind of critical situation requiring immediate medical attention, the AMA must ensure that those to whom it issues credentials have qualified through a universally accepted, competitively administered, objective training and testing process. Since no aikido organization can make a similar claim of legitimacy based on widely accepted, objectively-proven standards, there is no support for the notion that credentials from any aikido organization or group of organizations should be considered similar to professional qualifications in medicine, law, or academia. Unlike such professional credentials, aikido "credentials" from any organization are neither necessary nor sufficient indicators of proper training.

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Regarding the reality of the situation, if big organisations were to have poor standards, it would be more beneficial to help them out rather than just making generalisations and trying to discredit them. Aikido is not a competition and if a small body truly has more to offer, surely they should endeavour to share it with all of us?
Well I can't speak for other independents but I myself would be happy to help the big organizations by sharing my suggestions on how to improve their standards and practices. If any people from such organizations would like my advice on this matter, either in person or in written form, please feel free to contact me. However, my experience leads me to believe that organizations both big and small are not interested in such outside input and would prefer to keep doing things the way they are they currently doing them. If I'm wrong about that I'd be happy to see them change, but realistically I don't have very high expectations. I've seen how deeply people are entrenched in their own way of doing things and how hard they will fight to stay there, even when they have been freely shown a better way.

This is true not only in aikido but in almost all areas of human behavior, although aikido organizations by their very nature tend to promote such reactionary behavior rather than working to create an environment where people are encouraged to experiment and innovate. I don't think many people would argue with that characterization of aikido organizations, including those who consider them to be like professional organizations in medicine, law, or academics where such innovation is built into the system. Without this key principle, all you have are a bunch of people maneuvering for political clout, always afraid to do anything that might upset the status quo. As I suggested, I think the only reason people tolerate this in aikido and other martial arts organization is because these groups really don't matter to those who are not members of them. They are truly much closer in structure and function to religions and social clubs than they are to any kind of professional group that the general public must rely on for essential services.

Last edited by G DiPierro : 10-18-2007 at 03:29 AM.