View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte
Re: Article: Taking Ukemi and Being Uke by Peter Boylan

Well, I respectfully have to disagree. Here is a specific lesson I taught our class. After the typical warm-ups I demonstrate shomenuchi ikkyo for the millionth time, and we practice both omote and ura. Now, the type of attack I insist on is a shomenuchi sword movement made with the arm, with the intention that uke is going to cut through nage's head and cleave them in half down to uke's obi. So, if nage waits too long, they can't really do ikkyo omote and will have some adjusting to do ikkyo ura. So we practice that a lot.

Then we transition. First I have to work on right cross and left hook since most don't have good form. Then I point out that boxer (or wild hitter) maai is closer than normal aikido maai, and if you don't ahve your arms up and out in ikkyo position you are asking to get hit. You will not have the reaction time. Then I demonstrate that if uke comes in with say a right cross AND you have your arms out, it is a simple matter to move to the outside, make a connection and then turn with your feet in the same relative position (not full tenkan) and execute a really effective ikkyo technique. It also puts you behind uke and leaves you open to do other techniques. It seems like its not at all related to shomenuchi ikkyo but it is and I found that trying to teach it going right to a right cross is more difficult than if the students work on shomenuchi ikkyo a lot first. And I learned this from one of those visiting 6th Dan's of Satome who happened to be in town and visited our dojo.....But hey what works for me may not seem very productive to you so as long as the students get it that I suppose is what counts in the end. Always interesting to hear other teaching techniques....!