View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Doshu mitorekeiko

Quote:
Ani Forbes wrote: View Post
Today Doshu came to Osaka. I decided not to practice, just because there were so many people (300?) and it would be so crazy. I had forgotten you can get a stamp in your yudansha passport at these seminars, and so I was a little disappointed, I don't have any stamps yet.

He focused on kokyuroku, irimi, and taisabaki. He emphasized the connection we should make with uke, and uke with tori. He especially emphasised that we should treat everyone with respect, apply techniques relative to our uke's ability, and do unto others and you would have done unto you.

A new member to my dojo was surprised that he didn't have more charisma. My take on it is that he wants to present himself as a normal person, he's very humble, and he wants to set that kind of example. Of course that is only my take on it.

It's hard to watch though, it really makes you want to practice. Good thing I only have to wait until tomorrow.
Were you actually able to see the finer points of what Doshu was doing? One possibility would have been to practise and to get as close to Doshu as possible, especially when he was demonstrating.

Actually, I have very negative feelings about the value of huge seminars, where no one can see what is going on and so the possibility of actual transmission of any knowledge obtainable is virtually zero. These seminars are more like church services in a cathedral, or religious rallies where the Pope appears and does what popes usually do. They are of value more for reaffirming one's faith in aikido than for adding to one's technical knowledge of the art.

Best wishes,

PAG

P A Goldsbury