View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Kuzushi, Tsukuri, Kake and stuff...

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
In teaching, training, and learning these concepts/tools may be seen as separate... in the doing... ALL ONE.

Whether someone ever gets to the successful "doing" stage of any budo depends on the quality of the teaching, training, and peer group you train with.
I'd forgotten about this thread, just noticed your reply Rocky. Chuck, I agree that all three phases of a throw are part of one movement when you're really doing it. Here's a video that might help illuminate what I was getting at. It's of Tissier Sensei at Boulder Summer Camp. Watch how in almost every technique, he gets kuzushi, then completely relinquishes it during the tsukuri phase of his waza. Then when he goes to throw, he has to use simple leverage to force the throw. This is particularly true in the irimi-nage to osoto-gari(ish) thing he does starting at around 1:21. He breaks balance, then gives it back and walks around until about 1:30, when he forces a hip throw on a fully balanced uke who's kind of going along for the ride. This is in stark contrast to someone like Mifune (sample vid here, his randori starts at about 2:09), who manages to pull off some pretty amazing one motion stuff but still keeps the phases of the throw in their correct order. You can tell by watching uke, their body is stuck in space while he re-positions for the throw. Yes, it's all one motion, but it's correct motion. Hope that's clearer. (Note, that I realize that Tissier was demonstrating/talking, but this is how a lot of people do their waza, so I think it's still useful as an example.)

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu