View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #80
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Aikido Vs. Jujitsu (brazilian)

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Interesting thought about winning and losing.

Does this not also exist in the kata?

I mean kata falls into one of two categories.

1) My partner lets me do the technique. This assumes I will be successful and helps in the intro stage, but teaches me nothing about how to apply the technique.
2) My partner resists the technique in a number of ways. Attacking on balance, grabbing stronger, using muscle, whatever the case my be. At this point he is resisting me and I am either going to fail, or overcome him. No different then a sparing match. So attempting to stop a technique from happening at all is just as much 'competing' as competition. Yet, how many of you would argue that if someone was doing the worst technique you have ever seen that you should take the fall anyways and make him think he is being successful?

You would point out his flaws in some way and help him grow? This is what sparing is doing, only at a higher level then that. It also allows both sides to be uke and nage at the same time. This allows that pressure of 'realism' and helps us learn to deal with the other, non technique parts of conflict.
Yes I agree with you on all accounts.
I would call it resisting more than competing but may be this is the same semantic as me with victory and defeats

That is the way we train. (well I think we do anyway)
Of course you need agreement from both side otherwise there is a little bit of being an arse or a bully.
I mean if you know what is coming and you ignore the initial atemi, you can resist almost any technique. Especially if tori is less experienced.
Though I would say this can be quite useful for changing technique because usually resisting a technique in advance will present another one.
Like trying to escape ikkio by removing/ strengthening the arm is going to give you either nikkiom sankio, rokio (provided that you have attacked the elbow as well).
Or someone that tries to escape tenchi nage by break falling before the technique is there will give you his leg to ikkio, nikkio sankio if you see what I mean.

In any case, resisting kata, semi sparing or drill, they are useful to establish a entering (as in getting the position) and isolation strategy/tactics.
For me regardless of the weapon or what you want to do open handed, this is what makes technique "efficient" or not.

Phil.

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.