View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #17
Dewey
United_States
Re: Aikido vs. Kickboxing (video)

Nice post, Amir! Very well-reasoned and it speaks of experience.

As mentioned in a prior post, I do have training in Shotokan and I do "use" it in the dojo when training for the purposes of offering a sincere attack (i.e. trajectory & range, not intensity) versus stylized and telegraphed attacks. Just as we have guys who have training in boxing, Shorin-ryu, Judo, TKD, etc. including a former Marine Corps CQC instructor (old school WWII/Korean War-era combatives and not LINE or MCMAP) who bring their wealth of information & experience with them and use it on occasion to demonstrate different types of attacks and counters that you might experience "in the real world." We do recognize the distinct possiblity that an attacker, once trapped in some sort of arm lock will most likely try to use their legs to break free of it. That's why I think it's imperative to always consider defenses against kicks.

I always remember O'Sensei's quote concerning kicking and keep it playing in my head when training:

"Ueshiba Sensei used to say, kicking leaves you momentarily on one foot, and for that moment you are in a very weak position. If you were to be swept off your feet, you would be finished. This is why lifting your feet off the ground is crazy."
- from p.79 of Gozo Shioda's book Aikido Shugyo. Source: http://www.tsuki-kage.com/ueshiba.html

Last edited by Dewey : 09-16-2007 at 05:12 AM.