View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #19
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: Difference between styles

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post

Most notable from what I've been reading is characteristic of "lock & drop" within the Yoshinkan style. This definitely has passed down through Kuniba-soke's style. Once my instructor has uke "locked", there is very little extension (as commonly found in modern aikido). There is, however, a big DROP coming!
Hmm. That also sounds very much like my experience with Fujita Sensei, whose background is Aikikai, rather than Yoshinkai. I have never seen him do a "big" projection; when I have taken ukemi from him, the ground tends to approach very soon and very quickly.

Actually my own practice is quite strongly, if indirectly, influenced by the Yoshinkai, as my teacher (Kanetsuka Sensei) was originally a student of Shioda Sensei, only later learning from Chiba, Saito and Yamaguchi within the Aikikai. Interestingly (perhaps not surprisingly?), his aikido looks to me much more like Shioda's than it does modern Yoshinkai aikido.

Kanetsuka Sensei's teaching is very much based on "kokyu" from basic solid posture and immediate control of uke's centre, and is quite different from the more flowing movement of most of the younger Aikikai Hombu Dojo Shihans that I have seen.

Alex