View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #232
DonMagee
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Graham Wild wrote: View Post
I am not dodging anything. Mochizuki Kancho said consistent hard mindful training develops awareness. He also said awareness is the key to the superior techniques of O'Sensei. I am trying to share the insight of a great budo master.

The japanese think so. I recently posted the story of the Tea Master

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...402#post188402

you can read that.

Regards,
Cool, the next time a white belt asks me how to pass the guard. Rather then explain some drills that will help develop this skill. I will tell him to just practice hard with awareness or some other meta-physical mumbo jumbo. He will figure it out eventually.

However, I'll bite in your vagueness. What are you doing in your training while you are consistent and mindful? Personally, I like to paint myself blue with a magic marker, do keg stands, and do jumping jacks. While I do this I contemplate extending ki and being the center of the universe. I plan to enter the UFC this summer with this training method. I mean, I'm being mindful, that's good enough right?

Furthermore, being mindful and aware is not some deep insight. It's obvious advice. My father taught it to me at a young age. He would say to me after doing something stupid "Hey, that was stupid hu? Pay more attention next time and that won't happen."

I don't need training methods to make me more aware. What I need training methods for is to develop proper technique and muscle memory while fostering fitness and developing strategy. The being mindful comes from just paying attention, and the awareness is a by product. The big advantage is I learn to punch, clinch, takedown, choke a person trying their best to do it back to me. If I just played chess, I would learn none of that.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein