View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Difference between styles

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
After searching for answers on previous posts, I found only 1 other post (which was derailed by the originator bad-mouthing tenchin nage) that addresses my questions...

What are the differences between aikikai and yoshinkan aikido?
If I were watching a stylist of either style, what characteristics would I see to help me determine which style the aikidoka had trained in?

Some background on my question: I previously trained at an Aikikai style dojo. My new dojo considers itself "independant", but the lineage of the instructor traces back to Shogo Kuniba (soke) , who trained under Gozo Shioda (soke -founder of Yoshinkan - uchideshi to O'Sensei). Kuniba soke integrated his training in aikido and juijitsu into Goshin budo (now called Goshindo). In learning goshin budo techniques, the aiki influence is plain to see, and my instructor and I often joke that we "speak the same language", with regards to aiki.

Anyone training in yoshinkan - would you say that your style has a greater jujitsu content when compared to aikikai?

(Please don't comment that one is better than the other- that's not my intention - I would just like to know differences)

Thanks!
Shannon
Wrt to Aikikai, among themselves there are so much variation that there is no standard technicality...

Wrt to Yoshinkan, the emphasis is on pedagological approach. All components of a technique are broken down to its most basic parts and then reversed engineered to make it work against resisting opponents.

Initially there is little flow in Yoshinkan technique, we work more at angles and leverage to obtain the technique.. but as one gets more experienced, their techniques become smoother.

By and large, I think in any typical Yoshinkan class, the jutsu aspect is still emphasized.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.