View Single Post
Old 04-15-2002, 05:08 AM   #12
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Aikido ...train the mind?

On some levels of perception, Aikido must train the mind.

Just trying to capture the clarity of no thought while letting the lessons of class sink in for randori, while trying to remember these are my friends not a street fight where any thing goes, is in many ways training for mind and body as it is not?

Being blessed ( I don't really mean it ... cynic comment) with Meniere's I have had the random emergences of frightening paronoia, but somehow remained in control? Whether that was from being in the moment or making the moment more important than my fear, I don't know?

Your fears are something you have to confront, analyze, pick apart, and get a personal understanding of for your own well being. If than means getting professional help, then get that understanding from where ever it can come from?

Some confidence and awareness, I think, comes from learning Aikido as it does from other martial arts. But your personal confrontation with fear ... Some times just identifying the fear is the first step to using it. Only a fool is not afraid.

Aikido must train the mind, at least within the context of confidence, but I would guess it is how you use it to make your life better that makes the difference.

Not much help to your circumstance? Sorry.
I do believe if we persist, we will find the answers we need.

(Rolling Stones Quote: You can't always get what you want, you get what you need.)