View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #1580
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
I hope you're not finding me to be too defensive, Erick, if anything, I'm just trying to encourage you (and everybody else - that's me, The Encourager!) to embrace my philosophy of "I may not know, so I'll go find out" . . . especially if you feel obliged to participate in these Non-Aikido discussions
Not at all. I fully agree with it. No issues.

I am used to following my own perception of the traditional framework. It has been fruitful for me, so why would I abandon it? In part I see things differently in many areas owing to either my nature, experience or both. Other paths, and where people fall ahead or behind on any path do not really concern me, as long as we can at least try to help one another. No one's help should be refused with a demeaning opinion given about the value of the offer, even if it is refused for that reason. I try to live by that rule. It is simply rude, and therefore per se poor budo. Giving offense without cause or provocation is simply bad strategy, among its many other faults.

As you say "I may not know" and certainly do not know completely, but I know what I know and do what I do, and it requires no validation by anybody. The threshold for me to up and go see if what I know is at variance -- in what parts or in what degree or in what terminology --from whoever else there may be, at my pleasure, is rather high.

After all, if mind-body-ki unity is to be approached through training we must attend to each of them. Lots of discussion about the body and feeling through the body. The mind part is lagging, as is broadening the terms describing the nature of ki in operation, and of relating the mind to the body and to thoperaiton of ki in their interaction. Why shouldn't you make the brain work as hard as the body to properly train and expand your mental perception and critical observation and insight as much as your physical perception and strength? There's my focus.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.